Case in point: Last night they were all playing happily. Oh, who am I kidding, they were squabbling and bickering -- then I let them make forts out of the couch cushions. This seemed to dim the whining a bickering for a little bit. Then, my daughter got the brilliant idea of pulling out the little penlight that she got from grandma (yes, you, grandma!). This was all cool with me. I was doing homework and was just happy that there was relative quiet for me to study.
Some time passes, and then Adam walks up to me and says "Mommy, all gone." and points to his mouth.
"what's all gone?"
"all gone...candy...all gone"
Adam proceeds to roll his eyes at me and goes over to his pile of cushions. He comes back with the flashlight -- open and emptied of batteries. Then says "Candy...all gone. Adam eat all gone."
Suddenly, vivid scenes from that show on TLC about kids eating strange things comes into my mind. One was of a kid who ate batteries and nearly died from his internal bleeding. YIKES.
So, I call Health Link (a service in my area that has nurses to give advice 24 hours a day) -- they directed me to the Poison Control Center who said "This boy needs to go to the hospital now." They proceeded to question me about which hospital I planned on taking him to and I packed up a bag and left.
We got to the hospital, and it was "Hi, my little guy swallowed a battery -" that's all I got out. The nurse says, "We've been waiting for you, come on in."
*this never happens. It's usually at least a 4-6 hour wait!*
He freaked about being weighed, he freaked about having to put on a hospital gown. He didn't want to talk to the nurses, he tried to snag the doctor's pop, he played peek-a-boo with the woman in the bed next to us with the curtain that divided the room, he tried to run away 3 or 4 times...
Finally they call us for x-rays. 2 shots and it's done. They spot the battery (just one) and tell me it'll come out as nature intended.
Yay for me -- I get to squash poop for the next few days until I spy a battery. Fun.