Jan 16, 2011

A little friendly waxing advice...

I'm going to tell you a story, it's all true (and may be a bit of a PG 13 thing) - but I have to give you a little background info first.  Some of this will include a bit about my faith....but I'll soon get into the advice.

I don't think I've kept it any secret that I am a Muslim -- part of my faith is ensuring cleanliness -- of the home, of the body and of the body parts.  We are even told that it is better to remove the hair from the armpits and pubic areas.  Yup, that's right.  Personally, I choose to wax to do this.

The problem comes in that I'm also fairly cheap.  Getting it done at the salon is a LOT more expensive than buying those little wax strips...but I will do it myself and then give myself the "treat" of the salon every few months.

So -- last time, I was brave enough to give myself a Brazilian wax at home.  It requires a lot of determination, and well placed mirrors.  I did a decent job and was happy with it.  So, I thought I could do it again.

I got all my gear together and went at it... but (there's always a but, isn't there?) at the very last strip I pulled the skin tight (I was working on my labia area) and ripped that last bitty strip off.  The problem came because I was holding that skin so tight that I literally ripped it.  Yes...my skin split.  A gash probably 2 inches long....

My first reaction was "Holy *&$#@!!!!!" I was near fainting...I was shaking and crying and....well, I'm sure you can imagine.  After calming down a bit I assessed the damage and realized it wasn't so bad, but just in a horrible, horrible spot.  It was bleeding a bit, but manageable....I hobbled over to my tub and got into the shower....debating whether or not I should go to the hospital.  Thank God for friends who are nurses....she came to check on me and I'm all good -- just have to slather it with Polysporin and keep it clean.

So -- my advice in all this -- when dealing with "sensitive areas" and hair removal - It is worth every penny it takes to get it done by a professional!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh....ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even wax my own eyebrows without bleeding a bit!
This is advice I will remember.

Sara said...

Hahaha, this is why I like you, Heather, you always make me laugh.... ;)

MagzD said...

Holy f@#k Hethr!! I've never clenched so badly as I did reading that, and you have totally secured my desire to never have ANYTHING waxed!! I think my labia is crying for you...

Tina S said...

oh for the love of every holy spirit!!! I feel like I am going to be sick!!! What were you thinking?!?!? Please look into laser hair removal and NEVER wax yourself again!!!! I care about you way too much!!!!

C said...

Asalaamu Alaikum

Yikes Heather you do know there is also the option to just cut?

Sister F said...

Ahh i feel your pain!
I personally prefer waxing down there aswell..i do it myself as islamically i dont even think other women can look at that part cos its awrah?

Anyway, im gonna be explicit here please excue me :) ...i only do the top bits and the bits with thicker skin..the further in it gets your skin changes and its much thiner...i shave those bits..i really would advise you not to do those sensitive bits as that it probably the bit you cut. Just shave that bit instead..the result is still good :) as those sensitive bits are tiny compared to the rest..explicitness over :]

Hethr said...

Sister F -- I look at it as if she's a doctor. She's a professional and is doing a job. Some don't agree....to each their own.

I can't shave....for some reason, when I got pregnant with my last one (must have been the hormone changes) whenever I shave I get the worst, most horrible razor rash....doesn't matter what kind of razor I use....if I shave my legs, my underarms or bikini I get swollen and red and itchy and horrible. :(

Post a Comment

Please comment, please. It makes me feel good, and well -- a woman just likes to feel good every now and then. I may not agree with your comment, it may even tick me off and make me want to delete it...but comment anyway and make my day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails