Dec 2, 2010

My Shining Star

The school that my kids go to is quite diverse.  There are Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, and Buddhists....and I'm sure I've left some out.  There are different colored children running about, from the dark almost purple skinned Somalis to the milky white of the Caucasians.  It's beautiful to see them all intermingling and having fun.  I wouldn't want my children any other place.

With all the different faiths, the school has gone from having Christmas Concerts to having "Winter Celebration" (no, I'm not going to go into the political correctness of this) -- it's usually a concert in which every class has 2 (or more) songs to sing, one is a standard Christmas carol, and the other is some sort of religious/ethnic/cultural song from somewhere in the world (my two favorites from last year were "Mother Earth" a First Nations song, and I think the other was called "Lighted Lanterns" and it was a Chinese song...very, very cool).  Anyhow -- this year they are incorporating a bit of a play into the concert...it's called "America Celebrates" -- which is interesting in that it show cases the main holidays celebrated in America -- even though we're in Canada....but....well...whatever.

So -- my daughter got the lead role!  Woot woot!  She plays a bossy, know-it-all/leader of the pack...which is so ironically funny because that is a perfect description of her personality.   Anyhow, this character goes about organizing a food drive and teaching all her pals about the different celebrations (Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas and even Eid)...it's pretty neat practicing her lines with her.  Her character's comments look like this:

     EMILY:  (sarcasm) yeah, we already knew that. (ordering) So, Johny, you carry 
                   these bags while we go about collecting.

It's like the role was written for her.  I'm having a blast rehearsing with her and can't wait to see the play!

Oh...wait...the play is on the last day of my exams.  I'm going to miss her acting debut.  Who's gonna come video it for me so that I can watch it later??

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done little lady.

That sounds like my kind of play.

Post a Comment

Please comment, please. It makes me feel good, and well -- a woman just likes to feel good every now and then. I may not agree with your comment, it may even tick me off and make me want to delete it...but comment anyway and make my day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails