Apr 30, 2011

Sickness

We were warned from the very beginning not to drink the water here.  We are not to use it to brush our teeth, and we are not even to use our dishes unless they are dry.  

But - the habit of sticking your toothbrush under the tap and brushing was just too much for me to break.  I'd always remember after I'd had the toothbrush in my mouth, or better yet, as I was putting it away.

Well, my habit has come back to bite me.  I was sick last night.  Violently, horrendously sick.  I don't want to disgust you with details, but let's just say that both ends were going so strongly that my body still aches from it today.  

I hurt.  My stomach feels like I've been punched by Mike Tyson, my aching back and arms feel like I've been through boot camp.

So, a little word of advice from your dear friend Hethr:  When in Mexico remember to use the bottled water for anything that will eventually go into your mouth.

Pray for me friends.  I don't know if I'll survive another night like the last one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate that this one was dedicated to me! While in Cuba I had a similiar experience (food related - not the water) however, it was during a day trip to Havana and we were walking around the city. If you've never experienced cuban washrooms let me just say they don't flush, you are handed 4 squares of TP and the funnest parts is the lack of a toilet seat. If it wasn't for my fear of being arrested I would have gone in the streets like a dog. It was that bad! Thankfully it passed quickly with the help of my emergency Immodium tablets! Hope your feeling better! Sue

Suhaylah said...

I think it is so amazing and inspiring for you to be where you are, doing the things you do and braving through some really poor conditions that millions are faced with everyday but often others are so quick to forget. God bless you and help you recover quickly. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope your recovery is super fast . The tripp sounds like such an amazing inspiring opportunity. I hope you don't miss anything. I know the sick business of that variety is awful. So get better fast and you'll laugh about that miserable experience later :) Korie

Post a Comment

Please comment, please. It makes me feel good, and well -- a woman just likes to feel good every now and then. I may not agree with your comment, it may even tick me off and make me want to delete it...but comment anyway and make my day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails